This is the second year (click here to read about last years) in a row that we did our Easter Egg Hunt and giving our kids their Easter Baskets on the 1st day of Spring. It went so well last year that we were definitely on board to do it again this year. A few of the reasons I really love doing Easter differently. This way there is a clear separation in the kid’s minds between all that fun, spring activities, and Easter Sunday and his resurrection.
Last year I made these changes:
- A different sort of Hunt- Yes, this year we wrote our sins on the rocks. I didn’t have them go outside to gather the rocks this time. We wrote our sins on them and then put them in the bottom of a vase. Then we covered it with water. We talked about Jesus is the living water that can wash a way our sins. (next time I would not use sharpie marker to write. That way the words can wash way. ) Then we went out and Chris had hid the 12 eggs for each kiddo. The trick was to find a place where the kids would find them but the chickens would not. Leeland was really into it this year. I filled his eggs with fruit snacks, a few pennies, and magnets that I made from the plastic tops of baby food pouches and put a magnet on the back and a wiggly eye on the front! Norah & Lillian’s had fun with their eggs hunt as well. They had stick on earrings, quarters and gum in their eggs!
- New- we cut down a branch from outside and put that in the vase. Then we can watch the branch leaf out and bloom in that vase. Helping to represent that new life of Jesus in us!
- Spring & New Life Family Basket- We stuck to the family Easter Basket again. I just love this plan. It takes out the fighting and comparing and I just really like how it works for our family.
This is the run down of what I put in the Basket this year!
–Painted Lady Caterpillars – Verse ” Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new Creature the old is gone, Behold , new things have come” 2 Corinthians 5:17
– Water bottles – Verse ” but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again.b The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” John 4:14
– A bag for each member in the family of Puppy chow! -Verse ” How Sweet are your words to my taste! Psalm 119:103
It was a great time and now we are ready to go to church next Sunday and celebrate JESUS’s Resurrection!